Sunday, May 26, 2013

Random Thoughts

Why, why, why did somebody in Major League Baseball think it would be a good idea to have the Houston Astros move over to the American League? This is not only deeply offensive to those of us baseball fans who oppose the American League on principle; it is also deeply offensive because it makes no sense at all. 

The Milwaukee Brewers should have just been moved BACK to the American League, where they started. They were AL from their inception until the 1997 season. The Astros have been National since the beginning. 

But no. They have to go and RUIN the Astros. Ugh. 


***************

The officiating has been really bad, for the first time in my conscious memory. Missed calls on the bases, elastic strike zones, rules not enforced. Never in my life have I ever heard of the league fining officials for doing a bad job, yet that actually happened a couple of weeks ago. Shocking. 

Several times, during Diamondbacks games, my husband and I have suspected that the umps may actually be on the take, the calls were so outrageously wrong.

It's time for MLB to adopt instant replay, and even seriously consider the "Robo-Ump" option for the calls at the plate. 

Past time, actually. 


***************

Martin Prado seems to be coming out of his slump, and Miggy is showing signs of coming out of his! Yay! Gerardo Parra's assists are fantastic. In fact, the Diamondbacks' defense, in general, has been a thing of beauty to watch. 


***************

We finally got HD at home. The DirecTV guy was here at the house for FIVE HOURS. He had to install a new dish and two new receivers.  But the game in HD? A-w-e-s-o-m-e ! 


***************

I'm warming up to the new announcing team. Bob Brenly is really, really good. I enjoy his observations from a manager's point of view, which was expected; unexpected but equally insightful are his observations based on his experience as a major league catcher. I especially appreciate his distrust of umpires, his position on "robo-umps" for the calls at the plate, and his interactions with Steve. 

Steve seems to have toned down his silliness in the last few weeks, which is welcome. However, I am not all all happy that he continues to call Heath Bell "The Heath Bell Experience." Stupid and pretentious. Ugh. I could probably accept that if Bell were better, more reliable and more consistent. 


***************

On our bullpen and starting pitching: With JJ Putz out, we have to rely on Bell in save opportunities. Although he has improved in the past few outings, I do not trust him. I have also lost my trust in David Hernandez and Tony Sipp. Even Matt Reynolds let me down the other night. Ian Kennedy has been a disappointment this year, as has Wade Miley, who has been hot and cold. Pat Corbin has been incredible, which has been fantastic. Trevor Cahill? Who knows? 


***************

Does anybody doubt that Daniel Hudson, Willie Bloomquist and Adam Eaton are all on the trade block, once they return from their injuries? Aaron Hill, though, I don't think will be traded. I could be dead wrong, on all counts. But I don't think so. 


***************

And finally: I do not watch Sports Center. I do not participate in "fantasy league" games. Years ago, at the beginning of football season, we were waiting for a game to come on, and the men who do the pre-game show for either Fox or CBS (I forget which one) were on the TV, talking. I remember saying to my husband, "You know, I like football. It's a fun game. However, I do not like to listen to MEN TALKING about football. They are obnoxious, arrogant, know-it-alls who only want to be the Last Man Standing, always right in the their predictions, blah, blah, blah. It's like they think that if they are proven right, then everybody will know that they have the biggest d---, and are the manliest man; king of the hill. Yuck. Unbearable." Well, the same thing applies to any pre-game show in baseball. The during-game commentary is less obnoxious, and I do not mind it as much. At least, with really good announcing, the listener/watcher can learn something about the game.

But I just want any of my readers to know, if you care, that I don't watch those sports shows, nor do I listen to sports-talk radio (even worse), especially those shows that take calls from obnoxiously opinionated listeners. I only occasionally follow sports stories in the sports page of the Arizona Republic. This could make me outside the loop, not in-the-know, not up with the current trends or lines of conversation and controversy. I don't care. I'm OK with forming my own opinions.  

Till next time, Baseball fans! 


No comments:

Post a Comment