Monday, April 8, 2013

Play ball!

It seems to take April such a long time to get here! Spring Training does nothing to slake my thirst for the Real Thing, even though the Valley of the Sun is home to the Cactus League. There's just nothing like Opening Day!

So, there's a lot to talk about. The Diamondbacks made some pretty big moves during the off-season, most notably trading Chris Young and Justin Upton. I can't say that I was surprised. They were more valuable to us for what we could get for them in a trade than for what they were (not) contributing to the team. I think both Young and Upton are fine young men, and I wish them well. I was not sad to see them go, though.

I was more upset by the trades of Stephen Drew, before the season was over, and John MacDonald, during the off-season. I had a feeling they would trade Drew, once he returned from that terrible broken ankle during late 2011. It seemed to take way too long for him to get back to playing form. The longer they delayed his return to action, the more I suspected that the trade would happen. Johnny Mac, though, stepped in and did an admirable job at shortstop after Willie Bloomquist's back injury proved to be more stubborn than anyone expected. Mac made some dazzling plays at short. He was a trouper, and I was really sorry to read of his trade. Both men were professional, talented players. They will be missed.

So we have an all-new out-field, and a whole new left side of the infield. Although lots of in-the-know baseball people here in the Valley declared the trades that got us Prado and Pennington to be excellent moves,  I haven't made up my mind yet. I have to admit, though, Pennington was the hero in the first extra-inning game of the year (a marathon 5-hour, 32-minute win), and Prado has contributed some terrific offense. I guess I will eventually come down ont he side of "good trade."

I'm less impressed with our new announcing team. I like Bob Brenly. I've heard him before, during other games, and he is engaging and knowledgeable, and even funny, without being silly or stupid. That other guy--our play-by-play announcer that we stole from ESPN with the unpronounceable last name--well, I don't know yet. There have been some clever and funny moments over the first week of the season, but also some jokes that fell sort of flat. He seems to know what he's talking about, I guess.

But I have a bad taste in my mouth about the how the situation with Daron Sutton and Mark Grace played out last season. For the record, I loved our Sutton-Gracie team. They were often hilarious, but also extremely knowledgeable.  Sutton has a great voice for TV. Gracie is extremely charming, even though he messed up badly when he drove drunk.   I have no idea what Sutton did that was so terrible, other than simply refuse to obey his masters like a good little serf. At least, that was how it was portrayed in the Valley media outlets. I had often remarked to my husband and other interested parties that I thought they were the best announcing team in Major League Baseball, even before everything fell apart last year. I have and will continue to miss them.

I am planning future blogs on the Designated Hitter, on the Houston Astros defecting to the American League, on the progress of the Diamondbacks' season, and anything else that occurs to me that is baseball-related.  For now, let me just say that I am thrilled that Baseball is Back! Play ball!

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you blogging again, Juli. Can't say I'm a baseball fan, but I'm a fan of insightful writing on any topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andi. Now, where's has your blog been lately? Or, have I just been too busy to notice (more likely)?

    LOL

    --J

    ReplyDelete